Wednesday, May 7, 2014

I'm BACK!!!!

I was gone for my Wildflower Triathlon... 
NO CELL COVERAGE & NO WIFI.
AHHHHHHHHHHHH.  
It was CRAZY!!!  
So Sorry I wasn't able to post anything for just over a week.  

HOW TO CAMP GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE & SOY FREE??? 

  I will be writing today about how I was able to eat, drink, & have fun during a camping trip.  This take lots of preparation before. 

I make a calendar for my food before the trip to help with shopping list and organization.  



Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner
Monday
travel
turkey, carrots, hummus, 1/2 banana, almond butter
chicken, GF brown rice, veggies, avocados
Tuesday
yogurt/honey
fruit
chicken slices, carrots, hummus, apples, almonds
steak, veggies, GF brown rice
Wednesday
yogurt/honey
fruit
turkey, avocado, fruit smoothie
chicken, corn on the cob, fruit salad 
Thursday
eggs, bacon, avocado, fruit
carrots, hummus, steak, avocado, applesauce
Dinner in Paseo
Friday
yogurt/honey
fruit
apple slices & almond butter, celery, carrots & hummus, turkey 
chicken, GF brown rice, veggies, avocados & strawberries
Saturday
eggs, bacon, avocado, fruit
prosciutto, carrots, hummus, fruit
Sausages, GF brown rice, avocados, bananas
Sunday
rice, avocado, banana, almond butter, yogurt, honey, sausage
RACE DAY... carbo pro drink, honey, larabars, water
Burger: meat, avocado, bacon, onion, mushrooms, pickles, lettuce
Monday
yogurt/honey
fruit
travel
travel
 



I was blessed to have my parents on this camping trip... they did 50% of the cooking and prep work!!  And yes... they are experienced with how I eat & how to prepare food for me!  When camping you are limited with a kitchen.  You will do most your cooking BBQ style or outdoor kitchen.  So when preparing the menu keep this in mind.    

Ice chests are GREAT help when camping, they keep your cold items chilled.  Sometimes you need multiple ice chests (1 for just ice & 1 for food).    My breakfast items are essential to my diet & must be cold... and I LOVE my yogurt & honey each morning.  I eat FAGE 2% greek yogurt.   

YES this is a dairy item.  I can see the looks on some of your faces at this very moment... BUT YOU ARE DAIRY FREE!!!  Yes I am!!  When my doctor first changed my diet I was getting yeast infections really bad.  The doc suggested I try eating FAGE 2% plain greek yogurt 30 mins after taking my thyroid medication every morning (I am allowed to add honey for taste).  This is the ONLY dairy item I eat!  The doctor explained that this product is gluten free and out of all the greek yogurts is has the HIGHEST live cultures & is the best for the woman's body!  

Ok back to camping!!

SNACKS.... be smart about the type of snacks you keep around the campground.  The kids and others who are camping with you will have snacks of their own and they might look yummy!!!  Self control is very important on a trip like this!  Snack items I kept on hand all week: almonds, cuties (oranges), freeze dried strawberries, GoGo Applesauce's, Larabar's, hard boiled eggs, strawberries with honey drizzled over (my favorite)!


CAMPFIRE... S'mores can be your downfall.  If you need to have a sweet treat to eat when the rest of the group is roasting marshmallows PLAN AHEAD!  Trader Joe's Coconut Milk Chocolate Ice Cream (dairy free) & yummy.   Trader Joe's Brownie Mix (gluten, dairy, soy free) I even swap out the veggie oil for coconut oil and they are amazing.   Pre-make something like these for the trip  so you don't have a moment of weakness.  Sometimes a glass of wine is all I need!  


BEVERAGES... this is another area that can add up quickly.  Make sure you pay attention to what you are drinking.  Water is the most important liquid when camping.  When drinking alcoholic beverages during a camping trip remember to pay attention to what the labels say.  Bringing your own is always the better idea.  


MEAL PREP...  When making my menu calendar I was only prepping for myself.   This made for an easy planning session.  I purchased my lunch turkey from a deli. It was roasted with no dairy & was marked gluten free.  It had rosemary, lemon pepper, & thyme.  I paid $8.50 for a weeks worth of meat.   I can't eat processed regular packaged lunch meat, but it's worth paying the extra for good meat.  When buying hummus, reading labels is very important.  Finding one that has no soybean oil used & no tomato (sometimes this can be difficult).  Hummus can be a staple during lunch for me.  


Camping is a great adventure & can add so many wonderful memories to your families adventures.  Don't let food planning stress you out.  Take the time to prep yourself before the trip.  Stick to your plan and have self control.  Bring along options for yourself so aren't miserable during treat time.  



 I saw this and laughed so hard!!!  I figured it was a perfect addition to this blog!!  ENJOY!!




I am working on my Wildflower Tri race recap... for those who are interested!!  If you are part of the triathlon world you probably understand what this means!! 

Have a WONDERFUL day!  








No comments:

Post a Comment