Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Not enough Calories... for a workout day.

Bad Nutrition Day = Rough work out

I didn't cheat & eat foods I am not allowed, I just realized at the end of the day I was SO busy and missed a few snacks throughout the day.  A normal day I would have been fine, however when you add a duathlon at the end of the day... not so good.  This is why nutrition is KEY to EVERYTHING. 

My Nutrition Day:

Breakfast: FAGE Yogurt & Honey
Snack: Almonds
Lunch: Carrots, Hummus, Strawberries, Chicken, Almond butter, Dark Chocolate Almond Milk
Snack: Freeze Dried Strawberries & Almonds
Pre-Race Snack: Avocado, Larabar & CarboPro Drink & water
RACE
Dinner: Shrimp, Veggies, avocado


WHAT'S MISSING... Water ALL DAY... That was a huge mistake on my part.  Also, I should have added carbs and protein to my breakfast.  Bacon, eggs and GF brown rice.  OR I could have added the GF brown rice to my lunch.  A few more snacks throughout the day would have been beneficial to my body.  With all the changes lately my metabolism is working very fast.  Food is my form of energy and without the proper fuel I am setting myself up for injury.  

My duathlon felt off from the first 1/2 mile.  I had to pee right from the beginning... DANG!  I should have just squatted in the bushes.   Lesson learned!  Anytime you have to pee, you burn energy really fast.  I started cramping and caused back pain for myself.  Made for a miserable race.  Lack of proper fuel caused for leg cramps and knee issues.  When I first joined the world of racing & wasn't educated on proper workout nutrition I had issues with my body all the time.  

I honestly believe that the way you fuel your body before during and after plays a huge role on your overall health.  I raced wildflower just over a week ago & walked away from that race feeling amazing.  My nutrition building up to that race was spot on... morning of was a little wacky, however I was able to maintain all day! 

See... I'm out of control 


I have another race in 4 days.  I am interested to see how my body responds.  I plan on paying close attention to what I eat the next few days leading up.  

Needless to say, having an understanding of regular days nutrition verse training/race days nutrition.  This will be key with a successful race season!! 










No comments:

Post a Comment