Monday, April 21, 2014

Eating at Holiday Gatherings

How to eat at Holiday Gatherings?

What does Megan do for Family gatherings or Holiday Parties?  

This is a question I get regularly.  It's important that you understand that I/we don't force everyone to eat my way (our way) at a gathering.  I normally ask what the main dish being served is and what the ingredients are.  Not with the intentions of a lesson for them to make any changes.  If I can eat the dish WONDERFUL.  If not, I will bring along something for myself.  I always sign-up or volunteer for a side dish that I am able to eat.  This dish should also go with the theme of the gathering, and be something that everyone else would also like.  

It's important to have the attitude when attending a gathering that 'my plate' will NOT have the amount of food as everyone else & that's OK!!  It's a good idea to bring some fresh fruit & veggies and keep in the fridge as a back up or plate filler.   I always have snacks in my purse in case I get stuck with very little options.  I never eat out without food stashed in my purse to fill my belly.  I have learned the hard way.  

When it comes to DESSERT time... 
Options? Gluten Free, Dairy Free, & Soy Free?

Once again I bring along my own treat... 
I am not normal.  I can sit with a large group of people and be perfectly fine not eating dessert.  I have NO cravings... it is very odd, I have to admit.  I was the person who could eat an entire pan of brownies!  But this new lifestyle for me has completely transformed me.   

Easter was yesterday & I made some Brownies for myself & my dad.  We have a few people in my family who eat like me.  I only made a small 8x8 pan thinking that most would hear... gluten, dairy, soy free and make the normal face & add TASTE free at the end!!!  

After I served myself & my dad.... the first person in line asked what they were and I explained.  They said "Oh my... what do they taste like then"?  So... my response was, "try for yourself and tell me"!  They added the smallest square from the pan on their plate!!  I silently laughed!!   A little later my uncle walked outside and said he got the last one!!  They were a hit!!  All the kids LOVED them. 



This brownie mix is from Trader Joe's.  It's Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free (and nut free).  It is made from brown rice and then mixed with a coco.  The flavors are rich and flavorful.  


The added ingredients on the back call for 1 egg, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1/4 cup water.  I can't have vegetable oil... so I take Coconut oil and on a low heat bring it to a liquid form & replace the vegetable oil with 1/2 cup of Coconut oil.  It adds SO much more to the brownies (I think). And also makes them healthier by taking the processed oil OUT.  
  

I add these chocolate chips to the top once I've spread the mix in the pan.  It just adds a little more chocolate!!!  And gives them the googie just under baked brownie texture!!  



This was the pan after Easter... and EVERYONE loved them.  They couldn't believe they were Gluten, Dairy, & Soy Free!!!  Defiantly NOT TASTE FREE!!!








2 comments:

  1. Ok, so those look amazing! Do you always use coconut oil when substituting in for veggie oil or does that depend on the dish you are making?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I always use coconut oil. I can't have vegetable oil, so I had to make the switch. But it's pretty simple and he nice part with coconut oil & vegetable oil... its and equal switch!!

    ReplyDelete